This normally involves using a squeege to remove the water with it's rubber blade.
- If you have watched professional window cleaners at work, you may have seen them quickly
swirling their squeege around the external window, cleaning large shop windows in just a few
- Obviously it takes some time to learn how to clean windows as quickly as the
professionals, but the householder does not need to work that quickly.
- Working steadily most householders can learn how to clean windows in a few hours, and
over a period of time build up that skill level and speed.
- Window cleaning tip - Working from the top of the external window, draw the
squeege to the bottom of the window, wipe the edge of the squeege blade with a cloth, and then
start again from the top, work your way along the window.
- If you notice a small line of water that you have missed, just repeat these steps, until
you have completed the window.
- Developing a technique that gets your squeege blade in tight to the edge of the window,
will remove most of the water and diminish the amount of detailing you have to do.This will
help to keep your cloths dry and usable for the whole house.It is difficult how to polish
windows with damp cloths.
- How to polish windows involves the top and sides of the external window that will need
cleaning off with a dry cloth,or window cleaning towel, try to use just a small part of the
cloth and quickly rub the glass at the edge to dry off any excess water.
- Nowadays there are a number of different micro-fibre cloths about that are excellent for
this edge detailing which is how to polish windows and leave them sparkling.
- There are different sizes of squeege available, a small 3” one is good for cleaning small
opening windows or georgian windows.
- 14” or 18” squeege's will clean large windows quickly.
- There are 36” squeege's available for those who clean a lot of large external windows.
- Window cleaning tip - If it is a windy day, it is a good idea to clean windows
in order of the direction of the wind, so you don't splash windows you have just cleaned.
- If you are using a pole to reach to clean windows,after finishing squeeging, then place
your cloth over the squeege blade to be able to detail the top of the glass.
- Window scrapers are razor sharp blades held in some form of handle, used to remove stubborn
dirt, or window stickers.
- Wet the window and using single upwards strokes, begin to remove the dirt.
- Carefully wipe the edge of the blade with a cloth, between strokes.
- Some stickers may need spraying with window cleaning solvent to help to disolve the
- Do not use forward and back strokes, as any grit that gets behind the blade can scratch the
When to change squeege blades?
- As you clean the window,if you notice that you are beginning to leave a line in the same
place with each stroke of the squeege, it could be there is a small nick in the rubber blade,
it will need replacing.
- After some use, the end-edges of the squeegie blades will get worn, you may be able to trim
these off with your window scraper, to extend the life of your squeege blade.
- The edge of these rubber blades needs to be sharp to clean windows well, you will notice
they become rounded and it becomes more difficult to clean the glass with single strokes.
- Squeege blades are double-sided, so when one side becomes worn, just take out and turn
Recommended Window cleaning company for external windows in the South Cheshire and North
Staffordshire area of the U.K. are
Pure and Clean Window cleaners