Carpet Care and Maintenance
Good quality carpeting adds an inviting and elegant touch to your home, but only when you spend time and
money on Carpet care and maintenance. As a real affordable alternative to hard floors, your carpet can set the
atmosphere for an entire room. This short article discusses some effective, cost-efficient tips to extend the life
expectancy of your carpet.
Nothing can spoil the appearance of light coloured carpeting as quickly as mucky shoe prints. Why not make it a
family rule that all shoes should be left at the entrance hall upon entering the house.
Shoe free zone - After all, your home is the place that you want to be able to relax in, so
break out the soft slippers and kick off those dirty shoes. I am certain that any guests will understand when you
explain the reason you are asking them to remove their shoes.
- If you invite guests but do not feel comfortable making this request, consider temporarily covering
your carpets with throw rugs in your high-traffic areas.
- Carpet care and maintenance tip - for carpets in high-traffic areas you will need to
vacuum at least once or twice a week. In the other areas of the house
that receive much less traffic, vacuuming every other week will probably be sufficient to maintain a clean
- Carpet with long pile may require a vacuum with a pile lifter that will prepare the carpet so that
you can remove any dirt or grit without causing damage.
Fading of carpets - Whilst we all enjoy seeing the sun shining through our windows, direct
sunlight can lead to noticeable fading of your carpets and upholstery.
- Carpet care and maintenance tip - Window Blinds
or fabric window treatments are excellent for adding different colours and shades to your room and as an added
benefit they filter sunlight. This small tip could seriously extend the life expectancy of your carpet.
- Carpet care and maintenance tip that is a more energy-efficient option is to install
either solar screens or add a translucent film to the windows. These block harsh sunlight and can actually help
to reduce your heating and cooling costs.
Carpet Stains - Over time spills and spots are bound to occur, but a rapid response to
Cleaning Carpet Stain will often be sufficient to prevent stains
and splotches from setting in the carpet.
- Carpet care and maintenance is made a great deal easier when your carpet has had a stain retardment treatments applied.
- At least once or twice each year, invest the time and money to have your carpet cleaned.
- Nowadays it is much easier to rent carpet cleaning
machines that are suitable for home use.
- They can be found in supermarkets and home improvement stores.
- If you don't feel able to face cleaning your own carpets you can always choose to hire a professional
carpet cleaner. You might end up paying more in the short term, but if you don't know what you are doing and
seriously damage you carpet, those short term savings will look puny in comparison to the replacement costs of
a house full of carpets..
Rearranging furniture - When the time comes to rearrange your furniture, you could find
depressed areas in the carpet pile where your furniture has been positioned.
- This is not normally a major problem. Apply gentle pressure to the areas with a small hand brush, and
gently restore the pile to it's original position.
- In a very short time, you should be unable to tell where the furniture had been standing. Another helpful
carpet care and maintenance tip is to use carpet skates when relocating heavy furniture. These make the job
much easier, and they also prevent splinters from snagging on the carpet.
- It is especially important with heavy furniture as carpets can be stretched or ripped from their fittings
by dragging heavy furniture over them.
Carpet pile snags - Over the years, you may start to spot small snags or pulls on the surface
of the carpet.
- When you find one of these snags do not tug on the snagged fibres; doing so can make the problem
- Instead, use a small pair of sharp scissors to snip off the offending piece of pile.
- Addressing this problem quickly prevents the possibility of pets' toenails catching and worsening the
Carpets are one of the biggest investments in your home, so it makes good sense to take every precaution in your
carpet care and maintenance.
By considering the tips and advice from this article, you will be able to keep your carpets looking fresh, clean
You may have noticed that ..... Most of these suggestions cost very little and yet are highly effective.
Return from Carpet care and maintenance to springcleantips home